Saturday, December 23, 2017

Day 2921

I went to a local smokehouse and got a smoked ham for our Christmas dinner. I'm quite fond of smoked and cured meats. It's a shame they are so bad for you. They say smoked meats can cause cancer. Unfortunately, just about everything in our modern world can cause cancer. Rather than trying to eliminate all these tasty things from my diet, I've decided that it's OK to enjoy them in moderation.

I have ambiguous feelings about meat these days. I still enjoy a good steak, but I feel guilty about my eating habits whenever I see those cute pictures of pet piglets on my Facebook page. Why does bacon have to taste so good? I've tried to become a vegetarian several times, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like vegetables. My favorite meatless dishes are Indian curries that so spicy you can't really tell what you're eating.

I do think the way pigs and chickens are treated on factory farms is terrible. You have to be honest about where your food is coming from. I know that's it probably just a token gesture to eat grass fed, pasture raised, hormone free meat, but that's where I am right now. There was a flyer in the smokehouse about how well their locally sourced, pasture raised pork is treated. Nevertheless, I'm still eating one of the smartest animals on the planet.

Dogs don't have to deal with all this moral uncertainty. They are natural carnivores who would never turn down an invitation to enjoy a juicy piece of meat. Dash's appetite has definitely improved after we decreased his intake of dry kibble and increased the amount of venison and chicken he gets. Animals are more honest about what they eat than we are. Carnivores eat other animals. Herbivores eat plants and in turn are eaten by the carnivores. This elaborate and seemingly cruel food chain helped keep the planet in balance for millions of years until humans started monkeying around with things. Vegans don't occur in nature. Humans invented the concept when some of us didn't like the fact that we are natural omnivores. I know processed foods are bad for you. I know that 70% of the food on my plate should be plant based. Hey, if I want to get my protein from meat though, that's OK. Food choices should be based on biology, not ideology.

I didn't really do much today, but as you can see, even a quick trip to the smokehouse can provide me with plenty to write about. Dash threw up this afternoon, but I don't think it had anything to do with his vestibular disease. We tried to brush his teeth today and he threw up right afterwards. I think he hated the taste of the toothpaste. It's getting harder and harder to keep his teeth clean now that he is no longer a good candidate for anesthesia.

I went to pick up some meds for Dash at the vet this afternoon and confused the pharmacist by giving him the wrong name for the pills I was picking up. Jeez, I need to stop asking for enalapril when I'm really trying to get amlodapine. Dash takes so many meds that it's easy to get confused. It's easy enough to get confused with my own meds. What did we do before there was a pill for everything?

I can't decide whether to go to the gym tomorrow. It's Christmas Eve, but it's also Sunday. For a creature of habit like me, it's a tough choice.

Ziggy is today's Dalmatian of the Day
Watch of the Day

1 comment: